flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

May 02, 2005

Fantabulous Fiction and Those Who Hate It

So, I got an advanced reading copy of Undead and Unappreciated. So Loved It! I went on over to Amazon to tell the world and make folks who are waiting for it jealous (hey, I get my kicks where I can). They wouldn’t let me review it. Damn them!

So, I decide to go read the reviews for the first book in the series: Undead and Unwed. I loved this book (hence, I’m excited about reading the third book in the series), so I immediately looked for the reviews that hated it.


I’m perverse. I can’t help it.

The best summary of the series is this (from the above link): “What would happen if, say Cher from Clueless woke to find herself a vampire?”

So, I’m perusing the rotten tomatoes, seeing where my taste fails in others. I can see some points, but most, I think, don’t get the mood of the whole book.

I found the following piece of one review funny as hell with regards to irony:


“…That however was not the worst part. It was the idotic heroin (and I use that word lightly. Feather light.) Could anyone be nore vapid, self-centered and dare I say just plane stupid? I don't know maybe that was the whole point. All I know is that I'm never going to read another book by this author again.”

I can’t type [sic] enough, there. Pot, calling kettle. Come in, kettle





I'm self-conscious about the fact that, though I'm a voracious reader, I read genre-fiction almost exclusively. And genre-fiction is not "serious literature". I've been harangued in the bookstore where I worked; I've been harrassed on the commuter train. Something about having an open romance or sci-fi or vampire novel in your hand that makes people want to give you their opinion on what you should be reading.

To those oh-so-learned folks, I offer this quote. As usual, a real writer says it better than I ever could.

"Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of the their works, or of the kinds of writings that they evidently prefer." - J.R.R. Tolkien

(*)>




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home