flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

May 02, 2007

Not-So-Silent Partner

I think I’m disgusted with Mrs. McGreevey.

For those of you who mightn’t remember, New Jersey had a governor recently step down. Governor McGreevey stepped down from his position because he was outed as someone who gave paid positions within the government who did nothing but service him. He gave his lovers jobs for which they were not qualified, simply because they were his lovers.

Of course, his lovers were men. So, instead of the public slapping on the hand (and private high-five) most pols would get, he got ousted.

I don’t know if Jersey would hire a guy who was openly gay. It’s a daggone shame if the answer is no, and it probably is. It’s not as though NJ is a state with a large conservative religious presence.

When I first moved to Philly, it was because I yearned for a more open, accepting mindset. I come from a very conservative town. And though I, myself, am quite conservative in my personal behavior, I don’t think anyone who is not should be hassled. Does that make any sense? Live and let live. So I figured the big city would be better about that. Then my gay housemate was put in the hospital for being openly-gay in the wrong area of the city. Talk about an eye-opener. I now believe that Philly is just as conservative as my hometown, we just lie about it.

Now, almost 20 years later, Philly
openly brags about its new gayborhood (reg req), putting pretty rainbow tags on the street signs on that area of the city with the most class and taste. But what about the rest of the city? If you step out of that area, will you still be beaten to within an inch of your life for cross-dressing? I hope not. I pray not.

Governor McGreevey’s situation leads me to believe that we’re not nearly as accepting as we say we are. Yes, he was given flack because of the payola he dished out. But daggone it, Mayor Street did the same thing, and he’s still running city hall. It’s a double standard, and it stinks.

The one who makes me the most disgusted right now, though, is Mrs. McGreevey.

She was Governor McGreevey’s beard. She knew she was. You can’t tell me she didn’t. She got all the perks and privileges of the first lady of a very prosperous state. She lived the high life. Then it came crashing down.

So she’s cashing in.

She’s written a book called “Silent Partner…” justifying her own part in the private decisions of Mr. McGreevey. Really, she’s just trying to get her 15 minutes and make a buck off of Mr. McGreevey’s private life, the decisions he made, and the lies he told. The ride ended too soon for her, so she's going to op it. For some reason, I just think that stinks.


(*)>

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home