flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

January 12, 2008

Dispatches from Urbanalia part 1

So, as many of you may know, I’m teaching now. I’m in an urban high-needs school system, and this month, I’ve been placed in math classes in a predominantly Hispanic school.

It’s a lot of fun.

It’s tiring, and I haven’t had my own classroom yet (I get that next month). But in a strange way, it’s kind of revitalizing.

I spent a few days getting names down. The boys thought it was quite funny to all tell me their names were Pedro. Har dee har har. But I could tell who was being straight up and who was yanking my chain, as it were. And they weren’t doing it to be mean.

There are the usual problems and soap opera goings-on. That’s high school. It’s a lot funnier now that I’m not a student. I’ve had a few senior moments – leg warmers are in again? - and a few new math quandries - what the heck is a box and whisker diagram? – but for the most part, it’s all good.

So, if postings are light for a long time, well you know why!

(*)>

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home