flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

January 09, 2006

Since I Can’t Call In To Radio Shows

There was apparently some sort of big shindig in Philly last night (reg. req) . Rick Santorum, Jerry Falwell, and Rev. Herbert Hoover Lusk were among the big-whigs there. I heard about it this morning on my local morning radio show. I couldn’t call to respond to the guys (I’m in my car listening, and don’t use a cell when I’m driving), so I’m using my blog to express my opinion…

It was a bit scary, I tell you, listening to my elected official talking about how Christianity is under fire by the left. Last I checked, PA was not in the Bible belt. Santorum will definitely NOT get my vote next time around – defender of big government spending and crazy Bible nuts that he is.

Don’t get me wrong, I do think there are a group of fringe who would like all reference to religion eradicated from our daily life. I don’t think they’re the majority. And I think they’re wasting court resources and tax dollars trying to do stupid things like remove “in God we trust” from money. I oppose these losers simply on an economic basis!

The local talk show host is a pretty conservative guy (Michael Smerconish), and he’s pretty outspoken, but he took a “friend” of his with him. His friend is a Democrat voting liberal. Let’s call him Bob.

Bob and I agree that secularism is good. Where we disagree, though, is enforced secularism. Bob proclaimed to be a religious man, a regular church-goer. He made a big deal of his devout-ness. But he thinks it’s a good idea to enforce the removal of silly things like the ten commandments from a courthouse.


I see no point in this, and what’s more, as I said before, I think it’s an unnecessary expense. Prevent further Judeo-Christian paraphernalia if you feel you must, but just leave the historical stuff alone.

Then Bob went off on a rant.

He goes to church. He takes his children to church every week where they practice religion. Then, they go to school and learn math and science. Religion is for church and we should leave it in church. He's probably all in favor of removing Christian music from school concerts. As a choir singer, this particularly peeves me. Some of the best ensemble work written is sacred. From a musical and cultural perspective, we're robbing children by not exposing them to sacred music.

In the end, though, I felt the need to point out the emperor's outfit or lack thereof.

I don’t profess to be any kind of religious person. But I have attended enough different churches to get the idea that, for a truly religious person, faith is the BASE of life. To say that religion should be left in church is just what the non-devout think. So, anything Bob said after that was a wash for me.

It’s kind of like listening to a person spout how great they are because they’re vegetarian, and you look down and they’re sporting leather shoes.

And then I pulled into the parking lot and entered Spaceleys, to think only of sprockets for a few hours. Right.

(*)>

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home