flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

January 04, 2005

We've Got Company

Those of you who know us, up close and personal like, know that my mom has come down to spend some time with us this winter.

It amazes me, as I've gotten all these "condolence" looks. Or "are you nuts?" looks.

I don't think anyone understands just how much of a help this is to me.

1) She's like a housework elf. I go to work, come home, and suddenly my refridgerator is clean. Or the steps to the cellar are clean. Or the floor has been swept. Or the furniture has been dusted.

2) She's taking care of my older son. Where I come from, that's to the tune of $1000 per month. (yes, that's the right number of zeroes).

and most importantly:

3) my kids are getting to know their Grandma. I can't express how important this is to me. I didn't know either of my grandfathers - one died before I was born, the other I remember sketchily. I remember my grandmas, though. Having that continuity is very important to me. I'd like my kids to have the same thing.

There is a little strangeness - probably more for John than for me. But we're working full time. The only time we really see each other to get on each others' nerves is on the weekends - which pass entirely too quickly. Having another person to talk to at the end of the day is more comforting than bothersome, at least to me.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really enjoy having her down with us.

And the side benefits are nothing to sneeze at! (I'm thinking about putting a side bar status as to how many loads of laundry I haven't had to do since she's come... Of course, I might get the count wrong. I'll sure miss doing laundry when I get home at night. Heh.)

(*)>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home