flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

November 21, 2011

Why bother?

So, it's been a day of Why Bother? for me.

First, I remember that the Moth's diarrhea project... errr... diorama project is due tomorrow. Of course, these things are never for the kids. They're for the parents. Yes, he read the damn book. I made him. I quizzed him on it. He knows that the monkey did it, even if he was led down the garden path by the red herrings planted throughout the story.

So, as soon as I got home, I started putting together the stupid diorama. He helped. He did. I made sure he did enough of it that it really looks like he did a lot of it... if you know what I mean.

Stupid ass projects. You elementary teachers who assign this crap? I hate you. I hated you as a student when everyone else brought in these wonderful projects their parents helped them with, and I brought in the crap that I did alone because my mom and dad were too busy actually doing real work to make a diorama. I hate you as a parent because I can't let my kids go in with complete crap projects, like the ones I had, so I waste my precious time gluing stupid paper in a stupid shoe box. It's POINTLESS. Tim didn't learn ANYTHING from the shoebox he didn't already know. And if he had to do the whole thing himself? He'd have ended up in TEARS.

I have to ask myself, why bother? And on that note

I spent quite a bit of time today translating this cartoon I had made from overheads to powerpoint. It took forever, but the kids have always found it entertaining. It explains the formation of salts in a very cheesy way. In powerpoint, I even gave it a cheezy soundtrack.

I was showing it to Stinky, because it's kind of funny, when John pipes in, "sounds like you're venus fly trap!"

I replied back, "Screw you."

He's like, " I don't think you know what I'm talking about!"

I said, "yeah, I do know what you're talking about. You made fun of it for months." And he did, talking about how stupid it sounded, and how pointless. Why would anyone think those kind of analogies would teach chemistry.

"I do remember, and I repeat. Screw you." Because you just called me stupid and pointless, by association.

Jackass.


You know, I was in a good mood when I left school today. Grrrr.

(*)>

2 Comments:

Blogger cube said...

I hear you about the diorama/poster paper projects that we had to help our kids with during their school years. I've had my fill of pasta, pennies, and popsicle stick projects.

My question was always ... what is my child learning from this? Usually the answer was nothing. And for this we paid high private school prices because the public schools in our area lost their accreditation.

I hate busy work and I hate teachers that make students do it. I hate teachers that make parents do it even more.

December 06, 2011 3:55 PM  
Blogger birdwoman said...

The insanity of it, cube, is that we're REQUIRED to give projects like this. If you don't have these projects displayed as an elementary/middle teacher, you get ranked unsatisfactory. Crazy, right?

(*)>

December 07, 2011 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home