flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

January 13, 2005

50 Things I Love About Philly In No Order Particularly - #49

(Like the title says, this is a list of things I've loved about philly, in the 17 years I've lived in this area. Also, like the title says, they're in no particular order. It's also not an inculsive list. These were just the first fifty that popped into my head. I'm gonna dish one up fresh, weekly. Also, I've started at the "bottom" to keep you tuned in. It's part of my nefarious plan for readership. Mwa-ha-ha-haaaaa.)

St Mark's Church

Walking around center city Philadelphia, you'll see a lot of neat buildings. The area itself is not governed by any particular mood. There isn't the historic quality that Old City has, or the independent nature that Queen's village has, or even the urban industrial revival that Northern Liberties has. It's your generic "urban American" look. Moderate-sized sky scrapers mixed with small storefronts, flavored with row homes on side streets, and dotted with the occasional WaWa. Hidden among the small parks and large buildings is a beautiful 19th-century red stone church – St. Mark’s Episcopal.

St. Marks has special meaning to me. I sang there for five years while I was in college. But I fell into that position. I actually started attending that church when I moved to center city – the first week I attended, the rector gave quite a disparate message. He talked about all sorts of things: one part I remember in particular was a section on astrophysics. The big-bang theory insists that the universe is currently expanding, yet radio signals from parts of the universe seem to indicate that it is contracting. He talked about other contradictions in history, biology… even theology. He closed with the following line, “And that’s why we need women in the priesthood. We need another point of view to help us understand the world around us.” He turned off the microphone and sat down.

(There had been a big feud in the Anglican church at the time as to whether or not to allow women into the priesthood.)

His sermons never ceased to inspire thought – which I love in a minister.

When they announced that they were looking for section leads in the choir, I auditioned. I had sung for several years, and was, at the time, in some Temple University choirs. But the thing that clinched the position for me, I believe, was that I actually attended the church. The choirmaster seemed to appreciate that.

The choir wasn’t the best in town – the last time I went downtown for a service there, the choir was vastly improved. It was truly awesome. But we were pretty good. And the organist was top notch. The instrument itself was amazing.

The building is beautiful – a small oasis in a busy district.

But the architecture and setting really fade in importance to the memories for me. St. Marks will always have a special place in my heart and mind.

(*)>


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home