flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

February 21, 2009

Story Songs

I was listening to Michael Smirkonish the other morning, as is my wont, and he had a topic near and dear to my heart.

It seems for some reason, someone played part of Lucille and Mr. Smirkonish ended up "singing" the whole thing. Which got them off on the topic of story songs. They then played Big Bad John and Boy Named Sue

When I think of Kenny Rogers, I think of Coward of the County - and I can still hear my mom yelling up: "Hey Girls, that song you like is on WARM!" (on the... Harry West, the Harry West Show -bum-bum). One of the callers brought up Marty Robbins's El Paso, which reminds me of my dad.

I was surprised, however, with the huge Philly connection that no one brought up Jim Croce. Though he wasn't Country/Western, dude told a heck of a story song: Operator, Leroy Brown, Rapid Roy, and, of course, my favorite (for its Superman reference) Don't Mess Around with Jim

Anyone have a story song to add?

(*)>

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home