flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

April 01, 2006

Bible Thumping

OK, so the great state of Georgia (US, not USSR) has decided to support two new courses in schools next year. Schools can get funding for teaching Old Testament and New Testament courses. Such classes would be electives.

When I first heard this, I thought it was bad. You have to understand, I am a product of my environment, and I still have moments of “freedom of religion means freedom from religion”.

Then I thought about it. Sometimes my brain does function.

Our society is founded on Christian beliefs. There is no more quoted or purchased book in our current civilization than the Bible.

For those who say there is no good studying this, I say there is no good studying history, or literature, or anything that comprises our intellectual heritage. From a sheer knowledge point of view, to understand our history, our outlook, even many of our fundamental pieces of literature, it is necessary to study the Bible.

So, from a purely intellectual outlook, these classes are good.

Besides, anything that gets NPR in a tizzy is probably a good thing.

(*)>

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home