flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

May 02, 2013

Innuendo is Bad

So, the secretary of the school sent a note to all of us to update us on a certain student's long-term absence. Please mark all absences excused, she informs us. Then she ends the brief note with this intriguing little bit:  "quell rumors by not entertaining them."

I'll admit, I'm out of the gossip loop at school. I had no idea there WERE rumors. But now? I'm so intrigued! Not that I'd ever entertain rumors. After all, I have a rep as the world's worst hostess to uphold. No entertaining for this hag!

More nefarious, though, is the idea that SEPTA is handing out "safety travel tips" on my subway lines. This just days after Homeland Security was riding the train in a "boo-ya" kind of manner. I'd blow it all off, but who'd have thought that some morons would go blowing up the Boston Marathon? I mean, really? What was THAT supposed to prove? So, is the Orange Line or the Blue Line a projected target? Or are they just being super safe?

I don't get it, and I don't want to think about it. So, stop alluding, folks. I like my world to be innuendo-free.

~~~~~

 We're doing ok here. Soccer season has started back up (bad). Moth's team meets twice a week: once to practice and once to lose. They're the bad news blues (teams are colors). Moth spends more time eating dirt than running. But he's having a blast and meeting lots of kids (good). Additionally, a new Krispy Kreme donut shop opened right up the street from the soccer field I must take Mothman to (bad?). At least Stinks doesn't complain if I drag him to practice or a game anymore!

They've got Stinks in a compulsory Spanish class. Which I think is awesome. But then they make the kids take French in the 7th grade, and Latin in the 8th.

I can see taking Spanish. It's super useful, as lots of folks speak it, not just here in the good ol USofA, but globally.

I get the Latin bit - a good part of our own language derives, right?

But French? Unless you're planning on surrendering sometime soon, I'm not sure why you'd be a francophone. Maybe they think we're all going a Quebec?

I don't understand why rudimentary Chinese isn't offered. It makes a LOT more sense than French, these days. Hecks, even Russian makes more sense than French. But French is classic, so that's what they waste their time on it, though it's not much useful.

I lie, actually. At my old school, we had a huge number of Haitian students, many of whom did not speak English. I was able to get a little bit through in French, so I guess Mademoiselle Marshall would be proud.

~~~~~

As I type, Grandma is listening to some Irish drinking tunes while she needles (and probably tipples a bit of the Irish!). John is still at work, while Sean is off to scouts. Tim's eating popcorn and playing "angry birds" as Loki the Dog looks on with guilty eyes. It's his fault, you see, that the birds are angry. I found him this afternoon after he had found a bird to "play" with. He was tossing it in the air, trying to get it to fly again. Alas. I just hope he didn't eat any of it - gross. Dogs. Yuk.

And now, it's almost 9 and I'm turning into a pumpkin. So I shall bid you all... a bientot (in french!)

(*)>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home