flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

September 02, 2005

Let's Talk Turkey

My husband, as I may have mentioned before, is a cook. No, that's not what he is. He's a chef. His restaurant is our kitchen.

I come home from work every night (almost) to the smells of a gourmet meal. My kids eat coq au vin, aloo gobi, and everything in between. I will now pause as you all ponder this with jealousy.

Now, as a chef-wanna-be, John is quite enamoured of kitchen tools. They're his power tools, if you know what I mean.

For years, he's wanted to take over Thanksgiving dinner. He has this bug in his craw about turkey. A special kind of turkey. Deep fried turkey.

At first, he didn't want to intrude on his mother's kitchen. Then, he noticed that his dad was talking about doing a deep fried turkey, too. (He came by his tastes honestly...) That was all the encouragement that John needed. Time to buy a new power tool.

Next problem: his frugal nature combatted with a $150 frier that would be used once or twice a year, at most. Solution: Ebay.

He researched, found the best frier on the market (I kid you not), and started a search on ebay.

The first auction he lost, big time.

The second one, he got snipered at the last minute and lost by a dollar. (Cue his determined-face, which greatly resembles Sam the Eagle from the muppet show.)

The last auction he entered, he put a high enough bid to get the fryer. He was exstatic.

Now, he's waiting patiently for it to come. He mentioned yestereday that it should be here by today. I said, "Unless it's coming from down south."

Eyes widen, jaw drops, heads for computer.

Sure enough: seller lives within 100 miles of New Orleans.

I guess it's roasted turkey again this year.

(*)>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home