flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

December 19, 2004

I’ve Been A Bad, Bad Girl

So, last night I went out with my movie buddy. We don’t get to go out often: I do have 2 kids and she has a night job. But the stars were aligned, and away we went.

Couldn’t decide on Blade III or House of Flying Daggers. You have to understand, I love martial arts films (such a chick trait, right?), but I love vampire films, too. What a quandary!

So, we went to both!

House of Flying Daggers (****) was cinematically beautiful, tragic, and everything you’ve come to expect from the Hero/Couch Tiger genre. It lost a star from me because it got a bit too soap-opera-y for me. But I enjoyed the plot and the pacing and the pretty fight scenes and the pretty actors.

When it was done, we confirmed that Blade III had a showing in 30 minutes. We stayed and went to that one, too. (First time I’ve done that on purpose. The last time was Bourne Supremacy, and that’s another story. To make up for this theft, I bought a large soda and a bag of M&M’s, thus giving the theater $7 I wouldn’t otherwise have.)

Blade: Trinity ( *** ) was not as good as its predecessors, had plot holes and satanus-ex-machina that one only expects to see from Anne Rice. Mr. Morrissette had some great one-liners (better comic relief than Kristofferson); maybe, in fact, too many. And the head vamp-bitch was really bad with her Something About Mary hair. But it was a really fun ride. Especially after the Romeus et Julio tragedy of the previous movie.

All in all, a ***** night. Now, we take you back to your regularly-scheduled Sunday afternoon.

(*)>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home