flightless hag

A chronicle of the adventures of birdwoman: a lonely, talentless freak who wanders the internet in search of entertainment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philly

I'm a 40-something married white female, survivor of weight watchers, avid reader of pulp. Dogs (not cats), extreme right (handed, not politics), ENTJ, alto, wanna-be knitter.

November 20, 2004

I wondered what BCE stood for!!

LaShawn Barber has a post (a number of them, actually) over at her site about the Common Contempt For Christ. Actually, it's about the movement afoot by "serious scholars" to replace AD and BC with CE and BCE, respectively. Something about AD/BC being too Christ-o-centric in our oh-so-secular world, and intimidating to those who remain true to the new Gods of Secularity (irony intended). I have a few comments of my own to add to this:

  • I always thought that BCE was Before Christ E?. Didn't know what the E was. And I'm not alone in that assumption.
  • Most folks I know think AD means After Dead. How silly. Anyway, that's what they think. So, perhaps a change of letters would be a little more clear. After all, if you think BC is before Christ and AD is after dead, that leaves 33 years (+/- 3 years) unaccounted for! Besides, Anno Domini, that's latin. And Latin is, like, DEAD, right? [/airhead-mode]

I do think that the absolute fear most people have of religion - Christianity and Judaism in particular - is intensely stupid. Removing the cross from a flag, telling a brass ensemble they can't play Christmas carols (even though no words are used) because they make people think about a Christian holiday, and that's somehow intimidating - this is all such a senseless waste of time and effort. It's been hundreds of years since the last witch hunt, and, as far as I know, the Jews haven't done any serious moving and shaking since the time of Jericho. So, what's the cause of fear, folks? Where's the intimidation?

I'm afraid I'll never understand.

But I understand now that BCE is Before Christ's Era, and CE is Christ's Era. That's all I need to know.
(*)>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home